Alumni and fans are invited to celebrate UNL's 2013 Homecoming.
Huskers Around the World
Campus will be abuzz Sunday, Sept. 29 to Saturday, Oct. 5, with a "Huskers Around the World" theme and homecoming week activities for students, alumni and friends.
One of the newer and more popular attractions – the Homecoming Jester Competition sponsored by the Nebraska Alumni Association and Scarlet Guard – takes place Oct. 4, immediately following the parade and pep rally on the Union Plaza. Students will compete in front of celebrity judges to be crowned "UNL's Biggest Fan," and the winner will make an appearance on the sidelines during pre-game festivities the next day.This year's judges include Kenya Hunter, assistant men's basketball coach; Amber Williams, director of University Admissions; and Amanda Sjuts, wellness and human resource coordinator for the NU Foundation and former Nebraska National Champion volleyball player. This is the fourth year for the jester competition.
Homecoming activities open to alumni and the public include:
- One-hour campus tours (via golf cart) leave from the Wick Alumni Center and run at 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Call 1-888-353-1874 to register.
- Football Friday, Oct 4, 5-6:30 p.m. in The Railyard, just southeast of Pinnacle Bank Arena. Football Friday includes appearances by former Husker football players, music, giveaways, children's games and more.
- Homecoming parade, Oct. 4, 6 p.m. (The Wick Alumni Center's Holling Garden provides the perfect viewing spot.)
- Scarlet Guard's homecoming pep rally and jester competition immediately following the parade at approximately 7 p.m. on the Union Plaza (north side of city union, 1400 R Street).
- The Wick Alumni Center is open during normal business hours, and alumni can take advantage of free coffee in the lobby.
- Homecoming Game – Nebraska vs. Illinois, Oct. 5, 11 a.m.
Nebraska hosts Illinois in the Huskers' Big Ten Conference opener. Homecoming competition and royalty winners announced at halftime.
Scarlet Guard, the NAA's student organization, will once again compete as a registered student organization in:
- Homecoming banner contest
- 5K Fun Run
- Monday Night Live (skits)
- Blood Drive
- Beat Illinois T-shirts (Not competing for points but part of HC week)
- Homecoming Parade
- Homecoming Jester Competition
Details will be posted here as they become available.